The War and Peace of Tying Videos

So I just made it 14 minutes into an epic 23 minute fly tying video and it got me thinking.

1: Who the F&@K spends 23 minutes tying a fly? I admit to fumbling through a bug or two in the pre K stages of this hobby, but I'm pretty sure this dude had been spinning thread a while. A few of my early creations may have ended up taking a week to tie but that was never the recipe. Tying has always been about filling orders and boxes quickly, probably thanks to the second tying book I read, AK's Production Fly Tying. Mixing Patience, speed and attention to detail can get messy. I was always bugged by 5 minute epoxy (thank you UV clear coat) and processing turkey feathers with fleximent was a drag (thank you thin skin) guess I might be a bit antsy. But purposely spending 1/2 hour on a fly that I could loose in 30 seconds just makes my right butt cheek hurt.

2: How much is my time worth? If spending 23 minutes to apply 47 materials to the shank makes the fish buy the bug 84% more, then I guess it's worth my time. One of the many teachers I had in the art, yelled at me for leaving to much tag when I started flies.
"Wasting a whole midge there son"
Think of all the money you would save on fly boxes; it would take a year of no fishing to fill a small one. Now all your doing is tying and starting to mess with time on the river and that can get costly.

3: Does a super realistic fly work that much better? Are you stocked up on your Tapered Variegated Antennae and your mono eyes with painted on pupils? I stopped tying legs on most of my small nymphs to save time long ago, maybe that's my lazy side but if ya fluff up the right dubbing in the thorax you give an illusion of legs anyways. I've had delicate tails fall off Beatis patterns and still wack fish after fish and the best midge larve patterns are still just thread. Prove to me I have to start investing in Real Bug Parts, wing burners and knotted legs and I will comply but for now simple and easy means more options in more boxes.

4: Who watches a fly tying video or for that matter a fly fishing video over 4 minutes long? Once my ADD kicks in, I'm  looking for the pause button quicker than my dad looks for the mute button on commercials.



BOOM, One Minute tying Video, thanks Jmac.

No comments:

Post a Comment